Saturday, February 16, 2013

V.Selvaraj: Top 3 or I am out

Warriors FC new coach V.Selvaraj have set himself a goal of a top 3 finish by July or he will quit.

The former international took over the role over head coach from Richard Bok after the end of last season and before that he was the assistant coach.

The reason he has issued such an ultimatum is to show the players, the fans and the management he just not want the club to just make up the number.

Admitting that a return to the glory days of the past is way overdue, the 43-year-old reveals he will not settle for anything less than a spot in the top three this season, a marked improvement from last season's disappointing seventh-place finish.

"My aim is definitely for us to finish in the top three," he said. "If not, I don't think I would have taken this job or be participating in the S.League as a coach.

"We are Warriors FC - we have to always look to achieve something. If you ask me, we must win.

"I put a lot of pressure on myself but I don't want the pressure to be on the players; I'll soak it all in and let them relax and enjoy the game. But along the way, it's important for us to win titles.

"We have to get back on track as we have been missing in action for quite a while. We may have won the Singapore Cup last season but the league matters a lot.

"We have been there before so we can be there again. It's about time we did just that."

It is believed the players have responded to it positively and they are aiming to achieved the coach goal.

Still, the 43-year-old know it will take the players a while to get use to his style and his instruction on the pitch but he believed they can already see the positives.

"I'm definitely pleased with what the boys have shown so far in pre-season and I'm very happy."

"There are so many things I can praise them for - their professionalism, discipline, attitude, the communication they have shown - these were the things I was really focusing more on.

"We are definitely looking to peak at the right time. In terms of preparation, I'm very happy and everybody is very positive."

No comments: