Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Darren Stewart not surpirsed by victory

Balestier Khalsa coach Darren Stewart explained that he had stepped up the intensity of his team's training, while Tampines Rovers coach Nenad Bacina appeared overwhelmed by their 4-0 loss

Balestier Khalsa enjoyed a rare 4-0 victory over league leaders Tampines Rovers at the Toa Payoh stadium on Saturday evening, as goals from Qiu Li, Kim Minho, Paul Cunningham and Park Kang Jin settled the score.

Clearly a happy figure by the touchlines, Balestier coach Darren Stewart explained to the media how his side achieved the result.

“After our disappointing performances [in the] past weeks, we grouped together and we increased the intensity of our training,” said the Australian.

“I asked the boys if we could train with every ounce of energy left. We trained hard on Monday and Tuesday plus, we did a double session on Wednesday.

“I have to say the boys really trained their hardest - I’ve never seen such intensity in training through my time coaching."

The former Gombak United coach also had no doubts about his team’s ability to repeat tonight’s performance.

“Can we do it [winning] on a more consistent basis? I would say yes," Stewart remarked.

"To be honest, I wasn’t surprised at the result knowing how well we trained this week.”

When asked to comment on any specific player’s contribution to the win, Stewart declined to do so.

“I would destroy the team if I were to highlight a player for their performance tonight because everyone did good," he asserted.

"The players that came on were brilliant and those who did not play tonight were happier than me at the win!"

Stewart went on to claim that the win was the best game of his coaching career.

“I’m more happy with the clean sheet than the four goals to be honest," he delightedly said.

"It is the best game and win in the six years I’ve been a coach. But full credits to the players! I did nothing, I’m overrated but they did it all.

"They trained since Monday and played in the field tonight!"

No comments: