Monday, March 25, 2013

Patrick Vallee: They meet my target

Tanjong Pagar United coach Patrick Vallee had words of praise for his team and their vanquished opponents for contributing to what turned out to be one of this season's most-entertaining encounters so far.

"I'm very happy because my team played a very good game," he said. "But I must thank Hougang because they also played a good game.

"I think you need both teams to contribute in order for a good game and that's what happened tonight [Friday]. Luckily for us, we won but Hougang played very well and games like this are good for the S.League."

Although there was plenty for the Frenchman to be happy about, he did rue his side's inability to keep a clean sheet for the fifth straight game, albeit with a smile on his face.

"I said to my players before the game that I wanted a clean sheet tonight [Friday]," Vallee revealed. "For me, I'm very happy when we keep a clean sheet because it means you are guaranteed at least one point.
"I'm very happy with what we did in the second half, not but not so happy with the first half. But in the second half, I'm very happy with the fighting spirit and winning mentality the players showed.

"Trailing 1-0 then 2-1, it's not easy and it takes time to come back, but that's what my team did."

With his side now guaranteed a place in the top three for at least another week, Vallee confirmed they have met the target he set for them at the five-game mark of the campaign, and is now looking to the future.

"I don't care about the last two games [a draw and defeat to Harimau Muda and Home United respectively]," the Frenchman added.

"I gave them one objective when we started the season - to get 10 points out of 15 from the first five games. If we could do that, it would be very good.

"Maybe everybody was upset after last week's defeat, but I told my players we are always looking at the objective. I knew if we won tonight it would be okay and that turned out to be the case.

"It's important to focus on your objective when you have one and ours meant we could afford one draw and one defeat [in the opening five games]. Of course, it's better if we can get more points.

"But now we have met our objective, we can work towards our next one."

No comments: